Home  |   Contact Us  |   City Directory  |   Site Map

Welcome to the City of Hailey

What We Do

Hailey Arena

Parks, Trails and Gardens





External Links

By clicking this link you are now exiting the City of Hailey (or other City Department) website. The City of Hailey is not responsible for and has not confirmed the accuracy of the content of the linked website. By continuing on to the linked website, you are acknowledging that the City of Hailey is not liable for any damage resulting from your visit to the linked website.

Home > City Departments > Public Works > Water Division

Public Works

Water Division

The Water System

The Water Division is responsible for providing and maintaining a fresh water supply to the citizens of Hailey. The city's water is provided by a fresh water spring located in Indian Springs Canyon as well as four wells throughout the city. The water is piped throughout the city through main lines which branch off to individual services. The city has two storage tanks totaling three million gallons. The supply coming from Indian Springs also generates electricity, the sale of which supplements operating costs for the city. Technical data show that the Indian Spring source is dwindling. For more information, see the technical memoranda below:

SPF Technical Memo #1

SPF Technical Memo #2

The Water Division is located at the Woodside Wastewater Treatment Plant and is operated by a five person crew. The main concern of the crew is to assure a fresh water supply to all residences and businesses. Calls of interrupted water service are handled as a priority. The crew maintains and monitors the spring and the wells on a daily basis. Once a week, samples are taken and tested for water quality.

Water Quality and Cross Connection Control

Because the city's water is of such high purity, nothing is added to the water except for small amounts of chlorine; this ensures that the water stays pure as it moves through the system. Fluoride is not added to city water. Fluoride occurs in trace amounts naturally at a level of .18 mg/L (fluoride containment level begins at 4.0 mg/L).

The city's water hardness has been measured at 171 mg/L, which is in the range of hard water.

For more information about water quality, please refer to the Wellhead Protection Plan and the following Drinking Water Reports:


Cross Connection Control Program

The City of Hailey is required by the Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) of Idaho to establish a cross connection control program. DEQ has been delegated authority by the federal government to administer Idaho's Drinking Water Program under the provisions of the federal Safe Drinking Water Act and Idaho Rules for Public Drinking Water Systems. The City of Hailey follows standards and requirements to protect the city's water system. The purpose of the cross connection control program is to prevent contamination; to keep unwanted/uncontrolled materials from getting into the city's water system.

The cross connection control program is now focused primarily on businesses. Once compliance with DEQ requirements is assured in the business community, the city will more fully implement the residential side of the cross connection control program.

For more information, see the following reference material:

Hailey Cross Connection Control Program Brochure - Commercial/Industrial

Hailey Cross Connection Control Program Brochure - Residential

City of Hailey Cross Connection Ordinance

Idaho Department of Environmental Quality

American Backflow Prevention Association - Past Incidents

American Backflow Prevention Association - Frequently Asked Questions

American Backflow Prevention Association - Video

Rates, New Connections and New Accounts

Water Rate Table

New Connections

A permit is required prior to any new connection to the municipal water system. An Application for Water and Wastewater Permit should be submitted; once the application is reviewed and approved, and all applicable fees are paid, the permit is issued.

For questions about new connections, please call the Public Works Department at 208-788-9830, ext. 1.

New Accounts

When someone purchases a home, in the majority of cases the City of Hailey automatically receives the information from the title company and transfers the utility bill into the new owners name.

In order for a tenant to receive a utility bill, the city requires an Owner/Tenant Agreement to be on file.

For questions about new accounts, please call the Utility Billing Clerk at 208-788-4221, ext. 1.

Commencing Service

A Request for Commencement/Discontinuance of Water Service application must be filed when water is turned on for the first time or turned on after having been off for an extended period. This application is also used to request water to be turned off for an extended period (for example: to turn off water for the winter).

For questions about commencing service, please call the utility billing clerk at 208-788-4221, ext. 1.

Water Service Concerns

Leaks, Breaks, Maintenance and Repairs

At times the City must turn off water service to a neighborhood to repair leaks or breaks in the system or to perform system maintenance. The City makes an effort to notify the neighborhood of this work. In the event your water is off and you did not receive a notice, please call 208-788-4221, ext. 1, to confirm work schedules.

If you need your water turned off temporarily to conduct repairs to your plumbing, please call 208-788-4221, ext. 1.

If you suspect you have a leak, please call 208-788-4221, ext. 1, for a leak check. Owners who repair leaks may be entitled to reimbursement, as provided under Section 13.04.130 of the Hailey Municipal Code.

High Water Use and Leaks

Low Water Use Action Plan

Freeze Protection

Certain properties, for a variety of reasons, must run a continuous stream of water in the Winter to prevent freeze-up of water lines. A reduction in fees may be possible, as provided under Section 13.04.130 (D) (3) of the Hailey Municipal Code. To request freeze protection, submit the Request for Water Service Freeze Protection application.

Water Pressure

The water system works on a supply/demand basis. The more demand for water the less pressure there is to go around. Pressure will fluctuate throughout the day depending on how many people are using water. Less usage means more pressure, more usage means less pressure.

The city is required to provide water at a pressure of no less than 40 psi (static pressure). If you have water pressure concerns, you may request a pressure check by calling either 208-788-4221, ext. 1 or 208-788-9830, ext. 1. You may also wish to consult a professional to determine whether your home has a pressure reduction valve or other plumbing concerns that could be affecting water pressure.

Water Rights

Water Rights Presentation

Water Rights and the Water Division Budget

Northridge Water Pressure Study

2019 - 2020 Northridge Water Pressure Study

SPF Report: 2019-2020 Northridge Water Pressure Study

Sunbeam Quigley Tank Piping Memo

SPF Report: Quigley Water Main Upgrades and New Sunbeam Water Supply

Contact Information

Cole Balis
Water Division Manager
Phone: 208-578-2211, ext. 1
E-mail: cole.balis@haileycityhall.org

Back to Top