Home  |   Contact Us  |   City Directory  |   Site Map

Welcome to the City of Hailey

What We Do

Hailey Arena

Parks, Trails and Gardens





External Links

By clicking this link you are now exiting the City of Hailey (or other City Department) website. The City of Hailey is not responsible for and has not confirmed the accuracy of the content of the linked website. By continuing on to the linked website, you are acknowledging that the City of Hailey is not liable for any damage resulting from your visit to the linked website.

Home > City Departments > Public Works > Street Division

Public Works

Street Division

The Street System

Street DepartmentThe city has 46.73 miles of streets! Alleys, sidewalks and rights of way are additional parts of the street system. The Street Division provides maintenance on the street system, including striping, street sign repair and replacement, crack sealing, chip sealing, shoulder work, tree trimming, irrigation system repair, pot hole repair, crosswalk signs, striping and flags, culvert cleaning, road sweeping and snow plowing. The division inspects all utility work done in City rights of way and any other work done under an Encroachment Permit, and inspects street system infrastructure associated with new subdivision developments.

Encroachment Permits - Online Web Portal

Apply online for an Encroachment Permit or check status:

Online Web Portal

Master Plans

Bike and Pedestrian Master Plan

Transportation Master Plan - 2020 Update

Transportation Master Plan - 2007

Winter Information

Snow Removal ABC's

  • Snow Removal Information Brochure
  • Before Winter Begins - Remove personal belongings from the City right of way; items not removed may be damaged during plowing operations. The City is not responsible for any damage that may occur.
  • Parking Restrictions - No overnight parking (midnight to 7:00 a.m., November 1 to May 1) of any kind within any City right of way. Where there is no improved curb and gutter, vehicles must be at least 6' off edge of asphalt. Illegally parked vehicles may be towed without notice and at the owner's expense.
  • Clearing the Berm in Your Driveway - When clearing the berm from your driveway, do not push, shovel or plow snow back into the roadway.
  • Rubbish and Recycling Containers - Keep rubbish and recycling containers back from the roadway during snowstorms.
  • Mailboxes - Mailboxes should be located at least 8' from the street pavement to prevent damage from plowing operations.

Snow Removal Policy

A 6-inch snow event costs about $16,000 for snow removal activity. Since the City never knows how much snow to expect in a given winter and the budget is limited to just a few snow events, the City focuses on two main goals: 1) keep the roads safe, and 2) keep the main roads and sidewalks open for traffic. In general, the City's snow removal policy includes the following:

  • Less than 3 inches: de-ice and sand roads to keep them safe and plow major sidewalks along Woodside Blvd. and within the business core.
  • 3 inches or more: plow priority areas first (school zones, safety and fire facilities, main arterials and other collector streets), then focus on lower priority areas (neighborhood streets). Continue de-icing, sanding and sidewalk plowing. The more snow we have, the longer it takes to get to lower priority areas.

More details are included in the Snow Removal Policy below:

Encroachment Permits

Residential Encroachment Permits Informational Brochure

How do I obtain an Encroachment Permit?

Submit an Encroachment Permit application. An application fee is required at the time of submittal ($50 for a residential application, $75 for a commercial application). The City will review the application and prepare the permit. Inspection fees will be invoiced to the applicant, and are due when the permit is issued.

Residential Encroachment Permit Application

Commercial Encroachment Permit Application

If the encroachment application is for a drywell, then the Idaho Department of Water Resources Shallow Injection Well Inventory application must also be submitted.

What is an encroachment?

An encroachment is any excavation, digging, paving, landscaping, and construction of an improvement or placement of personal property within an easement or right of way. Encroachments include, but are not limited to, fences, sidewalks, driveways, mailboxes, newspaper boxes, utility boxes and poles, trees, shrubs, grass, sprinklers and other landscaping improvements.

What is a right of way?

Right of way means any property owned by or dedicated to the City for the purposes of providing City services and general circulation to the public. Such rights of way include, but are not limited to, the following: public streets and the space between those streets and private property lines, alleys and sidewalks.

What is an easement?

An easement is any right created by grant, reservation, agreement, prescription or necessary implication in favor of the City to use the land of another, including but not limited to easements for vehicular access and utilities.

What is approved to be in the right of way or easement?

The only items approved to be in a right of way or easement are: 1) driveway, 2) drainage, 3) grass, and 4) gravel.

What is not approved to be in the right of way or easement?

Some items that are not permitted in a right of way or easement are: 1) berms, 2) shrubs, 3) trees, 4) landscaping, 5) walls, 6) fences, and 7) large rocks.

Why is it unlawful to have something parked, blocking or encroaching the right of way?

City crews, such as emergency responders, police, and snow removal, must have access to public streets and areas. It also poses a danger to the general public. All persons doing work in the City rights of way must obtain an Encroachment Permit prior to starting any project. The company or person signing the permit is responsible for all clean up of the right of way after the project is completed. All projects done in the right of way must have a final inspection done before the City will sign off on the Encroachment Permit or before any certificate of occupancy is issued.

How do I find out where the City right of way is and where my property line begins?

It varies, because street rights of way vary. If a street right of way is 60 feet wide, an approximate measurement to the property line is 18 feet from the edge of the pavement. This 18 feet belongs to the City. If a street right of way is 80 feet wide, the approximate measurement is 28 feet from the edge of the pavement. This 28 feet belongs to the City. If a street right of way measures 100 feet wide, the approximate measurement is 38 feet from the edge of the pavement. This 38 feet belongs to the City. Call the Public Works Department at 208-788-9830, ext. 1, to get general information on your street right of way. However, the most accurate way to find your property line is to have it professionally surveyed to locate the property pins.

Back to Top

Utility and Snow Storage Easement


A 10 foot snow storage and easement is reserved beyond all 60', 80' and 100' street rights of way. Nothing may be placed or constructed in this area, not limited to and including trees, pavers and berms, without prior consent of the Street Division Manager.

Landscapers & Contractors

All barrow pits must retain designed flow for drainage purposes. All landscaping, construction debris or fill dirt blocking or obstructing the flow of the barrow pits will be removed before a certificate of occupancy will be issued on all dwellings.

Contractors & Utility Companies

All trenches dug within 4 feet of a paved road or across a paved road must be compacted to 95% of proctor and will be guaranteed for 3 years. This includes all trenching in barrow pits in the City right of way. All landscaping and barrow pits will be returned to as good as or better condition as they were before being disturbed. All projects within the City right of way need to be inspected by the City.

Drainage and Drywells

The City recognizes there are areas throughout town with less-than-ideal drainage. These areas are most evident during spring snowmelt or after a major rain event. The City has a limited budget for installing new drywells; this work is done on a priority basis only, from a list of know problem areas. To report a drainage concern, call 208-788-9830, ext. 1.

Contact Information

Kelly Schwarz
Street Division Manager
Phone: 208-788-5965, ext. 1
E-mail: kelly.schwarz@haileycityhall.org

Back to Top